BERKELEY, Calif. -
The No. 41 ranked Pepperdine women’s tennis team fell to No. 31 Texas today, 4-1, at the Hellman Tennis Complex in the first round of the 2009 NCAA Division I Women's Tennis Championship.
The Waves jumped out in front early on by winning the doubles point with victories coming at the top and second courts. Pepperdine's Andrea Oates and Alexandria Walters came off the court first as they took out Stephanie Davison and Caroline Larsson at No. 2 doubles, 8-4. At court three, Texas fought back as Mello and Marija Milic gained the 7-5 advantage but it was for naught as the Waves finished things off with the 8-5 win at the top court. Pepperdine's Anamika Bhargava and Alex Liles had to hold off a hard charge by Amanda Craddock and Krista Damico on court one but emerged successful to give the Waves the first point of the match.
Into singles play, the Longhorns answered back to knot the score at one-all as Davison came through with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Pepperdine's Zlatka Petrova at No. 6 singles. Texas pushed for a 2-1 advantage as Damico finished off Bhargava, 6-4, 6-3, at the top court. Seconds later, No. 5 singles came off the court with the Longhorns prevailing once more when Craddock took the 6-3, 6-4 win against Tania Rice. The match ended when Mello emerged victorious over Liles at court three.
The Waves conclude their season with a 13-12 record.
No. 31 Texas 4, No. 41 Pepperdine 1
2009 NCAA Division I Women's Tennis Championship | First Round
Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
1. Bhargava/Liles (PEPP) def. Craddock/Damico (TEX) 8-5
2. Oates/Walters (PEPP) def. Davison/Larsson (TEX) 8-4
3. Rice/Voicu (PEPP) vs. Mello/Milic (TEX) DNF
Order of finish: 2, 1* (Pepperdine wins doubles point)
1. Krista Damico (TEX) def. Anamika Bhargava (PEPP) 6-4, 6-3
2. Caroline Larsson (TEX) vs. No. 113 Alexandria Walters (PEPP) DNF
3. Maggie Mello (TEX) def. Alex Liles (PEPP) 6-4, 6-4
4. Sarah Lancaster (TEX) vs. Andrea Oates (PEPP) DNF
5. Amanda Craddock (TEX) def. Tania Rice (PEPP) 6-3, 6-4
6. Stephanie Davison (TEX) def. Zlatka Petrova (PEPP) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 1, 5, 3*
Courtesy of California Sports Information Â Jeremy Wu