Escudero Gets 500th Win as Waves Advance to WCC Finals
April 23, 2005
San Diego, Calif. - Just one day after getting his 499th, Pepperdine head coach Gualberto Escudero reached an unprecedented milestone. A 4-0 win over Saint Mary's at the West Coast Conference championships put Escudero at the mark and also put the Waves in the finals of the WCC tournament for the 18th consecutive year, dating back to 1988. The Waves will go up against San Diego in the championship match Sunday at 2:30 p.m.
Against the Gaels, Pepperdine jumped out to a 1-0 lead with two doubles victories. Eva Dickes and Bianca Dulgheru won 8-2, and Merve Asimgil and Vanessa Dunlap took an 8-3 decision.
"Our No. 2 and No. 3 doubles did great," said Escudero. "Vanessa Dunlap hasn't played much this year, but I am happy for her that she got to play with Merve Asimgil."
In singles it took the Waves just three matches wrap up the win. At number one, Caroline Raba beat Aude Lamber 6-1, 6-2. On court two Dulgheru defeated Kate Harden 6-1, 6-2, before Dickes won at number four 6-0, 6-4.
Said Dickes of the Waves' play Saturday, "I think we did a really good job, especially in doubles. We started out getting the doubles point and then in singles, everyone was up in the first set and it gave everyone confidence. We just kept going in the second set and we all won our matches."
Commenting on the singles performance of his team Escudero said, "I think they came out fighting really well, as evidence to their 6-0 first set wins at No. 3 and No. 4 and 6-1 at No. 1 and No. 2. They came out ready to fight."
Pepperdine 4, Saint Mary's 0
Doubles (Pepperdine wins the doubles point)
1. Raba/Kosakowski (PU) vs. Hoath/Lambert (SMC), 5-5 (DNF)
2. Dickes/Dulgheru (PU) def. Charlot/Schulman (SMC), 8-2
3. Asimgil/Dunlap (PU) def. Kummer/Ordoveza (SMC), 8-3
1. Caroline Raba (PU) def. Aude Lambert (SMC), 6-1, 6-2
2. Bianca Dulgheru (PU) def. Kate Harden (SMC), 6-1, 6-2
3. Sylvia Kosawkowski (PU) vs. Jessica Hoath (SMC), 6-0, 6-7 (DNF)
4. Eva Dickes (PU) def. Kristin Kummer (SMC), 6-0, 6-4
5. Merve Asimgil (PU) vs. Megan Schulman (SMC), DNP
6. Vanessa Dunlap (PU) vs. Stef Ordoveza (SMC), DNP
Order of finish: 1, 2, 4