Liles Clinches Match on Senior Day
“We’re still down a few players, yet we keep finding that extra one percent at the end to win the match,” said assistant coach Scott Doerner. “This was an important match for the team. They wanted to win for Alex on her Senior Day.”
Although Anamika Bhargava and Alex Liles (PEP) extended their winning record to 16-3 with an 8-4 victory over Hannah Grady and Jessica Weeks (LBSU), the 49er’s (14-7) captured the doubles-point with wins on courts 2 and 3. Deborah Armstrong/Lisa Sutton (LBSU) defeated Andrea Oates/Ali Walters, 9-7 on court 2 and Rachel Manasse/Julie Luzar (LBSU) had an 8-4 win over Tania Rice/Zlotka Petrova on court 3. Manasse/Luzar clinched the doubles-point for the Beach.
Oates gave the Waves (10-9) their first point of the day with a straight set singles win over Julie Luzar (LBSU) on court 3. Teammate Walters followed with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Rachel Manasse (LBSU) on court 2 to give Pepperdine a 2-1 lead.
The lead did not last long with Jessica Weeks (LBSU) notching a 3-6, 3-6, victory over Danielle Thomasma (PEP) on court 6, to tie the score 2-2. Rice (PEP) responded by defeating Lisa Sutton, 6-3, 6-4, on court 5, to give the lead back to Pepperdine, 3-2. Meanwhile, on court 1 No. 100 Grady was (LBSU) was finishing her match with a 6-4, 6-4, victory over Bhargava and the score was tied once again at 3-3. Moments later, on court 3 Liles defeated Deborah Armstrong (LBSU) 6-0, 7-5, 6-3, in the only three set match of the day. Liles had been up 5-0 in the second set before Armstrong fought her way back to a 7-5 win.
“I thought I was going to be the first one off the courts, but things didn’t work out that way,” said Liles. “She was a good player.”
On playing her last home match as a Wave and coming close to the end of her collegiate career, Liles said “This is the first year I haven’t been injured. I love this team...I don’t want to stop playing. It’s been such a great season.”
Tennis Match Results
Apr 08, 2009 at
# 44 Pepperdine 4,
1. #100 Hannah Grady (LBSU) def. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) 6-4, 6-4
3. Alex Liles (PEP) def. Deborah Armstrong (LBSU) 6-0, 5-7, 6-3
4. Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Julie Luzar (LBSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Tania Rice (PEP) def. Lisa Sutton (LBSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Jessica Weeks (LBSU) def. Danielle Thomasma (PEP) 6-3, 6-3
1. Alex Liles/Anamika Bhargava (PEP) def. Hannah Grady/Jessica Weeks (LBSU) 8-4
2. Deborah Armstrong/Lisa Sutton (LBSU) def. Andrea Oates/Alexandria Walters (PEP) 9-7
3. Rachel Manasse/Julie Luzar (LBSU) def. Tania Rice/Zlatka Petrova (PEP) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,2,6,5,1,3)