FRESNO, Calif. Â The #26 Pepperdine women’s tennis team earned its first upset of the season with a 4-3 win over #16 Fresno State on Sunday afternoon in Fresno, Calif.
Pepperdine improved to 15-4 with the win, while Fresno State fell to 11-7.
The Waves dropped the doubles point for the first time this season, after claiming the point in every dual match this spring. The 10th-ranked duo of Sylvia Kosakowski (Downey, Calif./Warren HS) and Bianca Dulgheru (Bucharest, Romania/Theoretical Jean Monnet HS) upset the fourth-ranked team of Melanie Gloria and Tinesta Rowe, 8-7 (7-3), but the Waves dropped their matches at the No. 2 and No. 3 position to give the Bulldogs the doubles point.
The Bulldogs took the matches at the No. 1 and No. 2 singles positions, but the Waves were able to earn the upset by winning every other singles match. Alex Liles (Largo, Fla./Florida/Saddlebrook Prep) claimed the Waves first singles point with a 6-2, 6-1 win, and Dulgheru then posted a 6-4, 6-0 win. With the Waves down 3-2, Anete Bandere (Tukums, Latvia/Tukuma Raina Gimnazija) evened the match with a 6-2, 0-6, 6-2 victory in the No. 4 position, and Jill Braverman (Newport Beach, Calif./Corona del Mar HS) earned the deciding point in the No.5 spot with a 6-4, 0-6, 6-1 win to give Pepperdine the 4-3 win.
The Waves finish out the regular season next weekend with a match at UC Irvine on Saturday, Apr. 12 at 12 p.m.
Doubles (Fresno State wins doubles point)
1) No. 10 Kosakowski/Dulgheru (PEP) def. No. 4 Gloria/Rowe (FS), 8-7 (3)
2) No. 30 Kucerkova/Petukhova (FS) def. No. 49 Braverman/Bhargava (PEP), 8-4
3) Beatty/Haskett (FS) def. Rice/ Bandere (PEP), 8-5
Order of Completion: 2, 3, 1
1) No. 14 Melanie Gloria (FS) def. No. 77 Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP), 6-1, 6-4
2) No. 21 Anastasia Petukhova (FS) def. No. 74 Anamika Bhargava (PEP), 6-4, 6-4
3) Bianca Dulgheru (PEP) def. Renata Kucerkova (FS), 6-4, 6-0
4) Anete Bandere (PEP) def. Tinesta Rowe (FS), 6-2, 0-6, 6-2
5) Jill Braverman (PEP) def. Jacqueline Haskett (FS), 6-4, 0-6, 6-1
6) Alex Liles (PEP) def. Danon Beatty (FS), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Completion: 1, 6, 2, 3, 4, 5
Records: Fresno State (11-7); Pepperdine (15-4)