#56 Waves Fall to #15 Fresno State
MALIBU, Calif. Â Alex Liles was the lone winner for the No. 56 Pepperdine women’s tennis team in its 6-1 loss to No. 15 Fresno State on Monday afternoon.
"We played well today," said assistant coach Scott Doerner. "We're just short-handed with three of our players out with injuries. Everyone is playing up, so hopefully the experience will make them stronger players."
The Bulldogs (10-4) claimed the double-point with 8-3 wins on all three courts. No. 49 Anamika Bhargava/Alex Liles’ match against Renata Kucerkova/Anastasia Petukhova was closer than the score indicates as they reached advantage and deuce several times in many of the games
The Waves (8-9) put up a fight in the singles competition with three matches going to tie-breakers. Liles had the only win of the day for Pepperdine with a 6-2, 3-6, 11-9 win on court 3 over #89 nationally ranked Renata Kucerkova (FSU). Bhargava split sets with No. 19 Melanie Gloria (FSU) before falling 13-11 in a super tie-breaker. On the court 4, Andrea Oates was tied 6-6 in the second set, yet lost in the tie-breaker at 7-3 to Tinesta Rowe (FSU).
Next up, the Waves host UC Irvine on April 3, at 1:30 p.m. in the
Tennis Match Results
Mar 30, 2009 at
1. #19 Melanie Gloria (FSU) def. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) 1-6, 6-3, 13-11
2. #28 Anastasia Petukhova (FS) def.
3. Alex Liles (PEP) def. #89 Renata Kucerkova (FSU) 6-2, 3-6, 11-9
4. Tinesta Rowe (FSU) def. Andrea Oates (PEP) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Laura Pola (FSU) def. Tania Rice (PEP) 6-3, 6-1
6. Bruna Paes (FSU) def. Marigrace Marshall (PEP) 6-1, 6-0
1. Melanie Gloria/Anastasia Petukhova (FSU) def. #49 Anamika Bhargava/Alex Liles (PEP) 8-3
2. Renata Kucerkova/Tinesta Rowe (FSU) def. Andrea Oates/Alexandria Walters (PEP) 8-3
3. Bruna Paes/Laura Pola (FSU) def. Danielle Thomasma/Tania Rice (PEP) 8-3
Pepperdine 8-9; National ranking #56
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,2,5,1,3,4)