#57 Waves Fall to #10 USC, 6-1
The Trojans (12-2), with three nationally ranked doubles teams captured the doubles-point with wins on courts 1 and 3. The Waves No. 2 team of Walters/Anne-Christine Voicu upset the No. 53 nationally ranked team of Sarah Fansler/Lindsey Kinstler (USC) 8-4.
Pepperdine (6-8)Â put up a fight in the singles competition, but was unable to persevere over the Trojans depth with five nationally ranked players. The highlight of the day was Walter’s 7-6, 6-4 win on court 2 over top-25 player Fansler. Walter’s was playing up as Jill Braverman was out of the lineup with an injury.
“I was really excited for the opportunity to play such a great player,” said Walters. “We kind of grew up together. I took tennis lessons from her step-dad when I was younger.”
Freshman Andrea Oates was looking for another upset on court 5 against No. 62 Allison Ramos. Oates won the first set 6-3, while Ramos took the second set in 6-2 and went on to win a super tie-breaker 10-4, to give the Trojans their sixth point of the day.
Next up, the Waves travel north to meet Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on Saturday, March 21, at
Tennis Match Results
USC vs Pepperdine
Mar 18, 2009 at
#10 USC 6, #57 Pepperdine 1
1. #13 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) 7-5, 6-2
3. #26 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Alex Liles (PEP) 6-4, 6-1
4. #58 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Anne Christene Voicu (PEP) 6-2, 6-3
5. #62 Allison Ramos (USC) def. Andrea Oates (PEP) 3-6, 6-2, 10-4
6. Castala Andrews (USC) def. Tania Rice (PEP) 6-2, 6-1
1. #10 Gabriela Niculescu/Amanda Fink (USC) def. #79 Anamika Bhargava/Alex Liles (PEP) 8-3
3. #53 Maria Sanchez/Allison Ramos (USC) def. Tania Rice/Andrea Oates (PEP) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,4,1,3,2,5)