Women's Tennis Proves Worthy of Ranking
Jan. 22, 2005
Malibu, Calif. - The 37th ranked Pepperdine women's tennis team dismissed No. 39 Sacramento State by a slim 4-3 margin Saturday at the Ralph-Straus Tennis Center. The Waves improve to 2-0, while the Hornets leave Malibu 0-1.
In the No. 3 spot freshman Bianca Dulgheru defeated Anna Erikson 3-6, 6-3, 6-1 to clinch the victory for the Waves. After the Waves won the doubles point of the match, the Hornets held a 3-2 edge in singles competition. The day's longest match would decide the winner.
Dulgheru was down a set before tying it in the second. The freshman rolled her momentum into set three losing only one game in the decider. Breaking Erickson's serve in the sixth game to go up 5-1 gave Dulgheru more room than she needed. She held serve in the set's seventh game and sealed the win with an overhand winner.
In doubles Dulgheru's was again the deciding match. After Sacramento's Cecillia Helland and Roberta Fessenko defeated Lise Sissler and Natalie Braverman and Caroline Raba and Sylvia Kosakowski beat Margarita Karnaukhova and Irina Karanoko the point came down to the No. 2 match. Leading 6-3 Dulgheru and partner Eva Dickes hung on to win 8-5 and earn the Waves a very valuable point on the scoresheet.
The team's next match comes against USC on Friday, January 28 at home starting at 1:30.
Complete Match Results- Pepperdine 4, Sacramento State 3
1. Raba/Kosakowski def. Karnaukova/Karauayeua, 8-5
2. Dickes/Dulgheru def. Petersson/Erikson, 8-4
3. Helland/Fessenko def. Braverman/Sissler
1. Karnaukova def. Braverman, 6-4, 6-3
2. Raba def. Karauayeua, 6-1, 6-2
3. Dulgheru def. Erikson, 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Kosakowski def. Fessenko, 6-2, 6-0
5. Petersson def. Dickes, 6-4, 6-1
6. Helland def. Sissler, 6-1, 1-6, 5-7