Pepperdine Shuts Out Michigan State at Blue Gray National Tennis Classic
March 16, 2013
MALIBU, Calif. - After coming close time and time again, the Pepperdine women's tennis team finally broke through today and defeated Michigan State 4-0 to put its first tally in the win column in 2013. The Waves won the doubles point before delivering a dominant performance in singles.
Pepperdine (1-9) got on the board right away, winning two of the three doubles matches to claim the early advantage. Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/Bangkok Patana School) and Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) won their fourth straight, topping Marina Bohrer and Catherine Parenteau 8-4.
The momentum carried over in singles, and the Waves won the first set in five of the six matches.
Granillo nearly shut out Olga Chernova, allowing just one game in a straight-set decision.
With her sixth singles win in a row, Issara put a point on the board for Pepperdine with a 6-3, 6-2 triumph versus Parenteau.
Freshman Capannolo defeated Emily Meyers 6-1, 7-5.
With the dual decided, play was suspended on the remaining courts.
Guillermo and Megan Moore (Portland, Ore./Jesuit HS) were both well on their way to victory, having both won their first sets.
The loss drops the Spartans to 10-5 on the season.
Pepperdine concludes action at the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic tomorrow, March 17 with a dual against Marshall.
Michigan State vs Pepperdine
Pepperdine 4, Michigan State 0
1. #54 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) vs. Marina Bohrer (MSU) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
2. #56 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. #110 Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Emily Meyers (MSU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Megan Moore (PEP) vs. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 7-6, 0-1, unfinished
6. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) vs. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 5-7, 1-3, unfinished