#6 USC Tops #44 Pepperdine 5-2 in Season Opener
Jan. 30, 2014
LOS ANGELES – The #44-ranked Pepperdine women’s tennis team opened the 2014 dual season against one of the top teams in the country, #6 USC, on a dreary Thursday afternoon. The Trojans won the doubles point and rode the momentum to the victory in singles, but not before Lorraine Guillermo and Christine Maddox posted singles wins to tally two points for the Waves.
With the 5-2 victory, USC improves to 3-0 on the season while Pepperdine drops to 0-1.
The Trojans took a 1-0 lead into singles after winning the doubles point, and further extended the gap with wins from the No. 3 and No. 6 spots in the singles lineup.
Michaela Capannolo (Melbourne, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) got caught up in a close battle with Gabriella DeSimone on court four. Although the sophomore Wave won the first set decisively, 6-1, DeSimone was able to fight back to force a third set.
In the 10-point tiebreaker, which women’s tennis teams from across the NCAA will be utilizing in lieu of a traditional third set, DeSimone won 10-4 to tally USC’s fourth point of the day.
Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) earned the Waves’ first point of the season, edging Brynn Boren in a close 6-7, 7-5, 10-4 decision from the No.1 spot in the lineup.
January addition Maddox (Santa Monica, Calif./Santa Monica HS) also walked away with a win, defeating Kaitlyn Christian 7-5, 3-6, 10-7.
Pepperdine continues this week’s action on the road with dual at UC Irvine on Saturday, Feb. 1. First serve is set for 12 p.m.
Pepperdine vs USC
#6 USC 5, #44 Pepperdine 2
1. #19 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. #96 Brynn Boren (USC) 6-7 (3-7), 7-5, 10-4
2. Zoe Scandalis (USC) def. #79 Matea Cutura (PEP) 6-3, 6-4
3. #60 Giuliana Olmos (USC) def. #93 Ale Granillo (PEP) 6-1, 6-1
4. #80 Gabriella DeSimone (USC) def. #112 Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 1-6, 6-2, 10-4
5. Christine Maddox (PEP) def. Kaitlyn Christian (USC) 7-5, 3-6, 10-7
6. Zoe Katz (USC) def. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 6-0, 6-0