Sep 5, 2013
THIS WEEK IN PEPPERDINE ATHLETICS | GAME NOTES
THIS WEEK: Fresh off a 3-1 road upset at No. 19 Texas A&M, Pepperdine continues its four-match road trip with a Midwest swing starting Friday, September 6 at No. 11 Michigan. Kick off against the Wolverines is set for 2:00 p.m. (PT) at U-M Soccer Stadium. The Waves then travel to Toledo, Ohio for a Sunday matinee against the Rockets. Kick off against Toledo is set for 9:00 a.m. (PT).
WAVES BACK IN THE POLLS
- Pepperdine entered two major top-25 polls for the first time in 2013 on Sept. 3
- The Waves cracked both the NSCAA (No. 22) & Soccer America (No. 23) polls
- Pepperdine captured 37 votes in the 2013 NSCAA Preseason Poll
- The Waves spent the entire 2012 campaign in the top-25 in at least one of the major polls
A LOOK AT THE 2013 WAVES
- Pepperdine plays its third top-25 opponent in four matches when it takes on No. 11 Michigan Friday
- The Waves collected their first shutout in a 1-0 win vs. Wright State
- Pepperdine has started at least four true freshmen in each match
- Fr. F Kristen Rodriguez has scored two goals with an assist (including one in her collegiate debut vs. No. 18 Cal - also her birthday)
- Fr. GK Hannah Seabert collected a career-high 10 saves vs. No. 19 Texas A&M
WILLIAMS NAMED DISNEY SOCCER/NSCAA PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Junior forward Lynn Williams led Pepperdine to a 2-0-1 record to start 2013
- Williams scored back-to-back game-winners against Wright State and at No. 19 Texas A&M
- Williams turned in her third career multi-goal game vs. the Aggies
- Williams becomes just the second Wave to earn national player of the week accolades and the first awarded by the NSCAA
- Goalkeeper Lacey Heck earned Top Drawer Soccer National Player of the Week selection Sept. 15, 2008
WILLIAMS NAMED TO 2013 MAC HERMANN AWARD WATCH LIST
- Junior forward Lynn Williams earned a spot on the 2013 MAC Hermann Award Watch Preseason List
- Williams is the second Pepperdine student-athlete in as many seasons to crack the list for the award presented to the top collegiate soccer player
- All-American Michelle Pao made the list in 2012.
WAVES BROADCAST IN CYBERSPACE
- All home matches during the 2013 regular season will include free live streaming video via WaveCasts and live stats via GameTracker on PepperdineSports.com.
- The Waves will be featured in the West Coast Conference Match of the Week twice: Friday, Oct. 11 vs. Gonzaga and Friday, Nov. 1 at San Francisco streamed live on the WCC Digital platform.
- Follow @PeppSoccer, the official Twitter account for Waves Soccer, for live in-game updates.
PEPPERDINE ON THE PAC-12 NETWORK
- Pepperdine's match at USC Friday, Sept. 13 will be televised live on the Pac-12 Network.
- The match against USC will be the first time the Waves have appeared on the network.
- Pepperdine will play one of the toughest schedules in the country this season.
- The Waves square off against seven opponents ranked in the NSCAA preseason top-25, including two (No. 5 UCLA and No. 6 BYU) in the top-10.
- All told the Waves play no fewer than eight matches against teams that advanced to the 2012 NCAA postseason, including five teams that reached the Sweet-16 and two quarterfinalists.
TON OF OFFENSE RETURNS
- Pepperdine welcomes back the bulk of its offense from a year ago
- Returners accounted for 24 of the squad's 37 goals in 2012, 17 of 31 assists and 65 of 105 total points
- Pepperdine returns four of its five scoring threats from last season including Amanda LeCave (10 goals/0 assists/20 points), Lynn Williams (8/3/19) and Michelle Pao (2/9/13).
YOUTH IS SERVED
- Pepperdine's 2013 roster features 12 freshmen and 13 newcomers overall.
- The Waves only have two sophomores
- There are 11 upperclassmen with five seniors.
UP NEXT FOR THE WAVES
- After taking on No. 11 Michigan and Toledo, Pepperdine concludes its four-match road trip at USC Friday, Sept. 13.
- The Waves at Trojans match will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network.
LAST TIME OUT
- Pepperdine collected a 3-1 upset win at No. 19 Texas A&M behind a two-goal performance by Jr. F Lynn Williams on a five-point day.
- Williams scored twice in less than two minutes.
- Fr. F Kristen Rodriguez scored second goal of the season with an assist.
- Fr. GK Hannah Seabert collected a career-high 10 saves on a busy day in the Pepperdine pipes.
- The Waves started four true freshmen and a redshirt freshman vs. the Aggies.
- All told, eight freshmen saw action Sunday in College Station
2012 YEAR IN REVIEW
- Pepperdine advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive season and hosted the opening round match for the second straight year.
- The Waves were ranked in the top-25 in at least one of the major polls for the entire 2012 season, finishing the year ranked No. 24 in the final NSCAA poll.
- A program record three Waves captured All-WCC First Team honors - Anisa Guajardo, Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams.
- Four Waves earned All-West Region accolades - Roxanne Barker, Anisa Guajardo, Michelle Pao and Lynn Williams.
- Owns four career goals, (two game-winners) with 15 assists for 23 points.
- Enters senior year one assist shy of cracking Pepperdine career top-10 chart.
- Nine assists in 2012 tied for fourth place on the single-season list and the most by a Wave since 2006.
- A 2011 NSCAA All-America
- A three-time NSCAA All-West Region and All-WCC selection.
- In two seasons owns 14 goals, five game-winners, 11 assists, 39 points and a remarkable 177 shots (4.3 spg).
- Led the West Coast Conference in overall shots as a freshman (80) and sophomore (97).
- Shares program's single-season shots record with Pepperdine Hall-of-Famer Jennifer Evans, who recorded 97 in 1993.
- Owns two multi-goal games, including a hat trick vs. Saint Mary's (11/1/12).
- A two-time NSCAA All-West Region and All-WCC selection.
NEWCOMERS IN GOAL
- Pepperdine will have a brand new look between the pipes this season and will likely start a true freshman.
- 2012 NSCAA All-West Region pick (and 2012 Olympian) Roxanne Barker departed as the program's all-time wins leader (47).
The Last Meeting
September 4, 2011
No. 24 Waves Defend Home Turf, Beat Michigan, 3-0
No. 24 Pepperdine remains undefeated on the year at 5-0-1 as they take care of business at Tari Frahm Rokus Field against 2010 NCAA Tournament qualifier Michigan, 3-0. Junior forward Anisa Guajardo led all scorers with two goals, her second multi-goal game of the year, and senior forward Laura Cole added one more for insurance. Lynn Williams added two assists in the match as well.
Pepperdine boasts a one-of-a-kind athletic department with unprecedented success for a school of its size. The Waves have won NCAA Division I championships in five different men's sports -- one of just 16 schools to have accomplished this feat -- and nine overall. Of this elite group, Pepperdine has the smallest enrollment and is the only school not in a BCS-affiliated conference. Located in scenic Malibu, Calif., the university overlooks the Pacific Ocean and its campus and athletic facilities are regularly voted among the nation's most beautiful. Pepperdine, which is affiliated with the Church of Christ, ranks #54 overall on U.S. News and World Report's list of America's best colleges.