Stanford Moves on to Second Round of NCAA Tournament
Stanford took an early lead by winning the doubles point with victories on the No. 1 and 2 courts. The Cardinal’s Richard Wire and Greg Hirshman defeated UCSB’s Anders Dalskov and Jack Hui on court No. 3 with an 8-4 win. Blake Muller and Matt Bruch (Stanford) clinched the doubles point for Stanford with a win over Philip Therp and Bijan Hejazii (UCSB) on the No. 1 court in a tie breaker, 9 (6)- 8.
The Cardinal came on strong in the singles with Alex Clayton (Stanford) claiming the first game on court No. 1 over Philip Therp, 6-1. Meanwhile, Stanford was leading in every match except on court No. 4, where the Gaucho’s Alex Konigsfeldt was tied 3-3 with Blake Muller (Stanford). Muller ended up winning the first game 6-3.
Clayton finished first for Stanford with a win over Therp, 6-1, 6-4. On court No. 6 Hirshman defeated Taylor (UCSB) to finish second, 6-2, 6-0 and gave the Cardinal a 3-0 lead over UCSB. Muller clinched the match for Stanford by defeating Klonigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-3, 6-1.
On Sunday, Stanford meets Pepperdine at 1 p.m. to determine who moves on to the team finals, on May 16-20, in
Tennis Match Results
May 10, 2008 at
Stanford 4, UC
1. #7 Alex Clayton (Stanford) def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-1, 6-4
2. #80 Matt Bruch (Stanford) vs. Bijan Hejazi (UCSB) 6-2, 4-5 uf
3. #124 Richard Wire (Stanford) vs. Jack Hui (UCSB) 6-3, 0-4 uf
4. Blake Muller (Stanford) def. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-3, 6-1
5. Phils Kao (Stanford) def. Anders Dalskov (UCSB) 6-2, 4-1
6. Greg Hirshman (Stanford) def. Max Taylor (UCSB) 6-2, 6-0
1. Muller/Bruch (Stanford) def. Therp/Hejazii (UCSB) 9(6)-8
2. Clayton/Kelly (Stanford) vs. Finklestein/Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 7-8uf
3. Wire/Hirshman (Stanford) def. Dalskov/Hui (UCSB) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,6,4)