Men's Tennis Rolls by UC Santa Barbara, 6-1
The Waves (14-6) had no problem winning the doubles point over the Gauchos (11-7) with victories in all three matches. No. 1 doubles Andre Begemann (
In singles, No. 22 ranked Beidas finished first for the Waves on the No. 2 court when Bijan Hejazi (UCSB) retired, 6-1, 4-0. Alex Moreno (
Altman won his first set on the No. 3 court, then struggled in the second set and was down 0-5 at one point.
“I lost my rhythm in the first game of the second set,” said Altmann. “I knew I needed to get my focus back and I pulled it out.”
Altmann proceeded to win the next seven games to defeat Hui (UCSB), 6-4, 7-5.
Meanwhile on the No. 1 court, Begemann was having some difficulty defeating the Gaucho’s No. 1 player, Therp. Although, the No. 6 ITA ranked Wave won the first set 6-1,Therp came back to claim the second set, 6-4. The third set went 6-6 and a tie breaker eventually determined the winner with Begemann on top, 7-6 (4).
The Waves play their last dual match of the season against Saint Mary’s, on Saturday at 1 p.m., at the
Tennis Match Results
Apr 10, 2008 at
#13 Pepperdine 6, #60 UC
1. #6 Andre Begemann (PEP) def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4)
2. #22 Bassam Beidas (PEP) def. Bijan Hejazi (UCSB) 6-1, 4-0, retired
3. Omar Altmann (PEP) def. Jack Hui (UCSB) 6-4, 7-5
4. Mahmoud Kamel (PEP) def. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
5. Max Taylor (UCSB) def. Brian Brogan (PEP) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
6. Alejandro Moreno (PEP) def. Josh Finklestein (UCSB) 6-1, 6-3
1. Altmann/ Begemann (PEP) def. Hui/Therp (UCSB) 8-2
2. de Villiers/Beidas (PEP) def. Konigsfeldt/ Finklestein (UCSB) 8-4
3. Kamel/ Brogan (PEP) def. Barton/ Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,6,4,3,5,1)