No. 7 Pepperdine Shuts Out Harvard, 7-0
April 2, 2005
Malibu, Calif. - Having now not dropped a match in over a month, the Pepperdine men's tennis team's current win streak was brought to nine on Saturday with a 7-0 blanking of visiting Harvard. The Waves were flawless in their winning of three doubles matches and six singles contests.
At number one doubles Harvard's Jonathan Chu and Ashwin Kumar locked up with Pepperdine's Scott Doerner and Pedro Rico in a face off of top-20 teams. No. 16 Doerner/Rico overcame the Crimson's modest 2-3 lead to take the match 8-6.
Pepperdine also took wins at two and three thanks to Berg/Lovrak and Borzenski/Johnson.
Singles provided no relief for Harvard as all six Waves recorded straight-set wins. Ivor Lovrak's big serve led him to a perfect 6-0, 6-0 win over Gideon Valkin, while Jason Beren was handled nearly as easily by Alexis Rafidison (6-1, 6-1).
Scott Doerner, Pedro Rico, Jonas Berg and Richard Johnson also put points on Pepperdine's scorecard on courts one through four, respectively.
At 16-2 Pepperdine has three matches left on its schedule before heading into the West Coast Conference tournament that it will host at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center, April 22-24.
The Waves will next host Fresno State at 1:30 p.m. this Wednesday.
Pepperdine 7, Harvard 0
1. Doerner/Rico def. Chu/Kumar 8-6 (Pepperdine)
2. Berg/Lovrak def. Chiu/Nguyen 8-4 (Pepperdine)
3. Borzenksi/Johnson def. Bohnen/Denenberg 9-7 (Pepperdine)
1. Scott Doerner def. Dan Nguyen 6-3, 6-0 (Pepperdine)
2. Pedro Rico def. Ashwin Kumar 6-3, 6-2 (Pepperdine)
3. Jonas Berg def. Brandon Chiu 7-5, 6-1 (Pepperdine)
4. Richard Johnson def. Scott Denenberg 6-4, 6-4 (Pepperdine)
5. Ivor Lovrak def. Gideon Valkin 6-0, 6-0 (Pepperdine)
6. Alexis Rafidison def. Jason Beren 6-1, 6-1 (Pepperdine)