Waves Overpower Cal Poly, 4-1
Feb. 2, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. - Despite a slow start in doubles, the #16 Pepperdine men's tennis team stepped up its game in singles and delivered a 4-1 victory over Cal Poly on Sunday afternoon. Although the Mustangs won the doubles point, the Waves quickly earned four straight-set wins in singles to take the win.
Although Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) and Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) posted the 6-3 win from the No. 1 spot in the lineup, Cal Poly managed to take the matches on courts two and three with victories in the tiebreaker.
The Mustangs are the first team in 2014 to win the doubles point vs. Pepperdine.
Pepperdine was able to rebound in singles starting with David Sofaer's (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) dominant 6-2, 6-1 triumph over Ben Donovan.
Sarkissian won his fifth straight with a 6-2, 6-3 win against Marco Comuzzo.
Although Stefan Menichella (Santa Barbara, Calif./University HS) fell behind briefly in his first set versus Corey Pang, the freshman was able to fight his way to a 6-4, 6-1 triumph.
It was Alcantara who provided the clinching point for the Waves today. The senior topped Derek Klein in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3.
Once the dual was deciding, action on the remaining courts was suspended.
Pepperdine now takes a three-week break from competition. The Waves' next match is scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 22 with a 2 p.m. dual at UCLA.
Cal Poly vs Pepperdine
1. #33 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Marco Comuzzo (CALPOLY) 6-2, 6-3
2. #58 David Sofaer (PEP) def. Ben Donovan (CALPOLY) 6-2, 6-1
3. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Derek Klein (CALPOLY) 6-2, 6-3
4. Stefan Menichella (PEP) def. Corey Pang (CALPOLY) 6-4, 6-1
5. Pedro Leme (PEP) vs. Jurgen DeJager (CALPOLY) 4-6, 4-4, unfinished
6. Tom Hill (PEP) vs. Naveen Beasley (CALPOLY) 2-6, 4-3, unfinished