May 16, 2013
GAME NOTES | BASEBALL ALMANAC
THIS WEEK FOR THE WAVES: Pepperdine travels to the Pacific Northwest to wrap up the 2013 regular season with its final West Coast Conference series of the season at Portland, beginning Friday, May 16 in the Rose City. The Waves take on the Pilots in game one at 3:00 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday will be 1:00 p.m. starts at Joe Etzel Field.
COVERAGE: Pepperdine’s final 2013 West Coast Conference series at Portland will feature a live video broadcast provided by the Pilots. Links to the broadcasts and live stats will be available on PepperdineSports.com.
FINAL SERIES NOTES - WHAT’S AT STAKE
- A series victory at Portland would secure a winning season for the Waves overall and in West Coast Conference play.
- A road sweep would secure a winning 2013 road record.
- Pepperdine seeks its 16th winning season in the last 20 years.
A LOOK AT THE WAVES
- Through 21 league games, Pepperdine sits tied for sixth place in the league standings (10-11).
- The Waves, the defending WCC Champions, were eliminated from participating in the 2013 WCC Championships after suffering a home series loss to Saint Mary’s last weekend in Malibu.
- The top four teams in the final regular season standings advance to the 2013 WCC Championships held May 23-25 in Stockton, Calif.
- After a 5-3 win vs. No. 24 Cal Poly (5/1) the Waves are 6-7 vs. top-25 opponents in 2013.
- The Waves have won 10 of their last 15 league sets dating to the start of last season, but have lost four of their last five WCC sets in 2013.
- Through 48 games the Waves have clubbed 29 home runs. In 2012, Pepperdine tallied 24 total.
- The 29 home runs are the most for the Waves since the 2010 club tallied 30.
- Waves picked second in the 2013 West Coast Conference Preseason Coaches Poll.
- Pepperdine picked fifth in 2012 preseason poll and won its first WCC title since 2008.
- Waves return 2/3 of their 2012 weekend rotation along with their midweek starter.
PLOTTING THE COURSE: WAVES AT PILOTS
- Pepperdine and Portland will square off for the 73rd time in a series dating to the 1957 season.
- The Waves and Pilots have split the last four WCC series with Pepperdine winning in 2012 (2-1) at home and 2009 (2-1) on the road and the Pilots took wins in 2011 (2-1) at home and 2010 (3-0) road.
- Last season two games were decided in 10 innings with Pepperdine winning the opener 3-2 and Portland taking the finale 4-3.
- The three-game road sweep by the Pilots in 2010 was the first in Malibu and just the second overall for Portland.
- Pepperdine won 22 straight against the Pilots from 2004-09 and also owns a 18-game string from 1997-2001.
- Head coach Steve Rodriguez is 26-7 overall vs. Portland with nine series wins since 2004.
- Pepperdine lost the first-ever meeting vs. Portland in a 5-4 road setback in 1957, but bounced back to win the series 2-1.
- After the initial series in 1957, the two squads did not meet again until 1985.
- Portland owns a 12-11 overall record at Joe Etzel Field after posting a 9-3 victory against Washington Tuesday.
- Pilots bat .249 as a team with 76 doubles, 11 triples and nine home runs.
- Portland’s pitching staff has a team ERA of 5.11 with a strikeout/walk ratio of 314/149.
All-Time: Pepperdine leads 58-14.
Last Five: Pepperdine leads 3-2.
Last 10: Portland leads 6-4.
Pepperdine’s last win: 4-3 (4/14/12).
Portland’s last win: 4-3, 10 (4/15/12).
LAST TIME OUT
- Pepperdine suffered a disappointing 3-1 road loss at Long Beach State on Tuesday.
- SS Drew Hacker drove in the only run of the game for the Waves with a single in the fourth.
- 3B Austin Davidson doubled, tying Bryan Langlois for the team lead with 15.
- RHP Michael Swanner tossed a scoreless ninth, lowering his team-best ERA to 1.23.
WAVES AMONG NCAA TEAM LEADERS
- Waves enter the weekend series at Portland ranked No. 42 in doubles per game (1.96) with 94 overall (as of 5/16/13)
- Pepperdine is No. 49 in home runs per game (0.60) with 29.
- The Waves rank fourth in the WCC in team ERA (3.60), second in runs (208) and earned runs (170). Pepperdine has allowed a league-low 79 extra-base hits.
- Pepperdine’s weekend starting rotation enters the week at Portland with a staff ERA of 3.96, allowing 101 earned runs off 214 hits in 229.1 innings and owns a strikeout/walk ratio of 183/90 and has allowed just 41 extra-base hits in 2013.
- Jr. RHP Scott Frazier posted his 13th career win vs. Saint Mary’s (5/10)
- Jr. RHP Corey Miller enjoyed a career day vs. Washington (4/6) tossing 10 scoreless innings with a career-high 10 Ks.
- So. LHP Aaron Brown tossed his first complete game in a 10-4 victory vs. No. 24 Gonzaga (4/21/13) and struck out five for his fifth straight win.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Pepperdine’s bullpen has been outstanding this season with a 8-6 record and a combined ERA of 2.88. Waves relievers have a 109/57 strikeout/walk ratio and have allowed just 21 extra-base hits this season.
- Jr. RHP Eric Karch collected his 12th career win at No. 21 Cal Poly.
- Karch leads Pepperdine in wins (5), appearances (27) and leads all relievers in strikeouts (28)
- Jr. RHP Michael Swanner collected his WCC-leading 12th save of the season vs. Saint Mary’s (5/10/13) and lowered his ERA to 1.23.
- Swanner ranks T-4 in single season saves at Pepperdine. The last Wave to record 12 in a season was Jason Dominguez in 2007.
- Waves lead the WCC in doubles (94) and are second in homers (29).
- So. 3B Austin Davidson shares the team lead in doubles (15), ranks second in home runs (6) and bats a team-high .309 with 24 RBI and 30 runs. Davidson leads Pepperdine in slugging percentage (.484).
- So. OF Bryan Langlois shares the team lead in doubles (15) and has four home runs, batting .285 on the season.
- After receiving just five at-bats in limited action during his first two seasons with the Waves, Jr. OF Ranny Lowe is capitalizing on his opportunity, batting .304 with six doubles, 24 RBI and 18 runs.
- Jr. OF Chris Amezquita has 36 hits in 2013, with 12 doubles, a team-high seven homers, 23 RBI and 30 runs.
- Sr. 1B Sam Meyer leads the team in RBI with 29 to go along with 12 doubles and four home runs. Meyer leads the Waves in multi-RBI games
- Pepperdine ranks third in the WCC in fielding percentage (.969).
- The Waves are third in the league in double plays (41).
- The Waves are starting a pair of true freshman up the middle this season: Fr. 2B Hutton Moyer/Fr. 2B Chris Fornaci and Fr. SS Cody Nulph. The duo has tuned 24 double plays.
- Moyer is the son of veteran MLB pitcher Jamie Moyer.
YAMAGUCHI GOES YARD... AGAIN
- So. C Kolten Yamaguchi collected his first two hits in emphatic fashion, hitting two home runs in consecutive at-bats at USC (3/12/13).
- Yamaguchi hit the tying home run in Pepperdine’s 4-3 comeback win vs. LMU (3/17/13) with two outs in the ninth.
Corey Miller - WCC PITCHER OF THE WEEK
- Waves RHP captured first career WCC weekly honor, tossing 10 scoreless innings, allowing just three hits with a career-high 10 Ks.
- Miller retired the first 12 Huskies he faced and threw 118 pitches.
Austin Davidson - WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Waves 3B captured first career WCC weekly honor, batting .714 (10-14) with five doubles, home run and three RBI vs. Santa Clara.
- Davidson hit .432 (16-37) with six doubles, two homers, 12 runs and seven RBI in March.
2013 WEST COAST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP
The West Coast Conference will resume its Baseball Championship this season with a brand new format. Four teams will compete in the 2013 WCC Championships at Banner Island Ballpark May 23-25 in Stockton. It is the first neutral site for the conference championship.
- Jr. RHP Michael Swanner has been named to the NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch List. Swanner leads the WCC in saves (12) and owns a team-best 1.23 ERA with 24 strikeouts in 22.0 innings.
- So. UT Aaron Brown earned preseason All-American honors from Baseball America (3rd) as selected by Major League scouting directors.
- So. IF Austin Davidson was selected to the All-West Coast Conference Preseason team. Davidson was a member of the 2012 WCC All-Freshman squad.
UP NEXT FOR PEPPERDINE
Pepperdine’s three-game WCC series at Portland are the final contests of the 2013 season.